Thursday, December 4, 2008

ctrl + alt + del

We live in a culture where everything is expected to be catered for us. Service should be optimized, fast food should be faster than FAST, pre-prepared food should look and taste as delicious as a home-cooked meal. We expect and demand the anti-cellulite creams to work (but do they ever!), the trains to be on time, and the credit card company to actually adhere to the limit of your credit card and not let you go overdrawn..how the hell do they expect you to pay back an extra 2K just before Christmas?

At the same time it’s become an absolute need for this infrastructure to cater for our busy lives, as the world around us is demanding more and more. For most of the times, we are helplessly dragged along this ever lasting carousel. We rarely sit down and challenge what society has become, and what it has turned us into. And even on the few occasions we do, we are ultimately powerless in this game.
Today I’m convinced everything and everybody is conspiring against me. It’s a feeling of being utter powerless to put down my foot and say NO.

- No, I can’t make the project on time
- No, I don’t even consider turning on the lights and the candles as very high on my priority list.
- Shopping for food? Do we really need it?

The list can go on endlessly. But the fact of the matter is that with Christmas imminent, I feel the urge more than ever to start a social revolution, where only the word NO exist. Michael Douglas character in Falling Down is in all of us, as we act upon decisions taken by others far above our heads.

With no clear line of thought, I could go on rambling for the next few pages. But it’s your luck that I am too tired to. If it was up to me I would be somewhere far away from all commercial input/output, all the failed promises, and the gullible believers in a better world. Can someone tell me, where is the Escape button?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics