Monday, December 1, 2008

the scary beaver

I just came home from a photo shoot. Not something I do on a daily basis, I can assure you. The photo shoot was schedule for the evening, and before that I had an appointment with my hairdresser and make-up artist at Pierot (one of the absolute best in the Netherlands). The occasion for the photo shoot was a pregnancy shoot a la Demi Moore. I had been contemplating this for a long time. I’m pretty liberal when it comes to nudity, walking around the house naked as it was the most natural thing in the world (which in fact it is). But to stand butt naked in front of a stranger, a male stranger for that matter, is something else. Ah well. I put my concerns aside for the moment.

Just before I was to leave, I decided to have a quick shower, and to touch up some hairy parts that had been lacking attention for all too long. That’s one of small dilemmas of pregnancy. You can’t reach everywhere, especially down under. As it was in desperate need of a trim I made an attempt, which after a few minutes of battling appeared to have been successful. But I was in for a surprise. With only 15 minutes to go until my taxi arrived, I stepped out of the shower and in front of the mirror. I was SHOCKED! Half of it was gone (almost) whilst the other half displayed an odd haircut. I quickly came to the conclusion I had three options: 1) Leave it as it is (and be on time), 2) try to fix the haircut (but that would take some precision work) or 3) shave it all off. I’m absolutely cool with a Brazilian, but it’s the kind of job that requires a good wax, not a quick and dirty shave. But given the first two options would look absolutely ridiculous I decided to go bald. As I was shaving the last bit of curly strands off my all too delicate private parts, I couldn’t help but wonder how my husband would react.

Hair and make-up was done in an hour and a half and it was time to jump in the taxi for the photo shoot. At this point my stomach was making somersaults just thinking of going nude. I had a back-up plan though with some clothes that would strategically cover the most intimate parts.

The photographer was really nice, and I quickly felt at ease. From looking at the many nude pictures hanging on the walls, this was just like any other job for him. Still I opted from some French knickers and a shirt from Reinout. So far so good. But the shirt made me look huge, so off it came, and I was standing there in my undies. But those, although nice, reflected a lot of light so I asked Jorn (the photographer) if I should take them off. He insisted. As I wasn’t exactly on familiar territory I asked him to direct me. Under no circumstances did I want to show my naked beaver! He came up with an ingenious solution of raising one leg slightly and thereby obscuring the sight. Phew I was relieved. When the photo shoot was finished he showed me the pictures, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I think it broke the last naked taboo I had. I'm so curious what the reaction will be tonight! I shall keep you posted...



Make up galore from Beauty is Life (I bought an eyeshadow
and lipgloss of course!)




At the hairdresser



Later at home, showing proudly off my 7 month belly

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics