Friday, November 21, 2008

An erotic encounter

Despite having bought a Vanity Fair, to endure my trip back home, I’m drawn to a woman opposite me. In fact she caught my attention before having actually seen her, her perfume announcing her entrance. Like a veil it surrounded her and I imagine she seduced my fellow passengers too with her presence. I know it, because it is my perfume – Fracas. The train was neither empty nor full, as we were waiting for the train to embark. She took the seat opposite me. I glanced at her and smiled, which she returned.....cautiously.

It was difficult to determine her age, she could have been in her late 20’s but equally in her early 40’s. One really couldn’t tell. Her manners were impeccable, placing her birkin bag next to her as in order not to let anyone in on her personal space. I wondered why she didn’t take a taxi, she looked rather out of place although she didn’t really seem to mind. She took up a brown, leather clad diary and started taking notes, her long legs crossed in an inverted V, leaning slightly towards the aisle. I looked around and noted other people had noticed her too. The Dutch are in general rather blunt, so to my surprise people were in fact not staring directly, but rather discretely. It was as if her appearance and demeanor demanded a certain respect, which she must have been used to getting. And people took notice.

As I was sitting there, the few minutes I had her in my presence before she stepped off at Amsterdam Sloterdijk, my mind started drifting to the type of life she was leading. Was she someone’s wife, lover? I imagined lover. In my mind I saw her in an expensive hotel room, unbuttoning her expensive silk blouse, then her pencil skirt, revealing black lace lingerie. La Perla or Aubade I thought. As I was daydreaming, the train slowed down to a grinding halt. The woman looked up until everyone getting off had passed her. Then she stood up, took her bag and left. I was in awe. For that moment I wished I was her. I looked out of the window to catch a glimpse of her a last time but she was already gone.

There are 6.7 billion people on this earth. All with their unique lives and destinies. Sometimes our paths will cross, if only for a fleeting moment. The impact of those moments having the power to change our lives forever......without us even knowing it...




My Vanity Fair and a box of Ferrero Rocher, a peace offering to Reinout...

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics