Thursday, November 20, 2008

Is money really the root of all evil?

There is one thing that men and women can’t agree on – money. Is this a relative new phenomena or has it been like this since time of dawn? Are men born with a running calculator adding up every shoe, handbag and piece of fashionable garment that women purchase? Some men may turn a blind eye, in so many ways they won’t ask where that new coat suddenly came from. As long as the bills are paid, the status quo remains. Other men can be fooled, but only by tricks and deceits. One I must admit I have employed myself in the past is hiding the purchase for a few weeks until the coast is clear. When asked if the Burberry shoes were new, I could with clear conscience reply ‘no’.

So far so good. But not all men are like that. Take my husband who I love dearly. He has a sixth sense for sniffing out my purchases. In this case no hidings or obscuring the truth with a little white lie will stop him. He sniffs it out like a bloodhound with a build in GPS. And when the truth comes out there is no turning back. I have to atone for my sins, and in some cases, I’ve raided my cupboard and jewellery box to amend my mistakes and repay some of the ‘debts’ I have incurred on our account. The jewellery box scenario is not something to recommend, but it did happen. And Reinout, my then to be husband, had to go back to the store owner and literally threaten him to get back the heirlooms. Out he came, with my rings plus a candlestick holder that he took fancy of.

Such is the life of the Waldau-te Brake’s...

Truce?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics